Bobbin House is both an Eco house and an easy to maintain property that offers many features and modern touches that make life easy to live and enjoy. It is tucked away in a quiet spot on a private drive.
On the outside, Bobbin House, has a relatively traditional look with modern twists but on the inside it reflects a very contemporary modern design.
Bobbin House is constructed of red bricks, flint and Hardy plank weatherboarding finish above a brick plinth. The flints – all nine tons of them – were all hand-picked at a local quarry to ensure they met the planning requirements imposed by North Norfolk District Council for size and colour.
Aluminium windows, fascias, soffits, guttering and downpipes are all finished in an anthracite RAL7016.
In 2022 the upstairs balcony decking and support structure was replaced with a durable aluminium decking system also in anthracite RAL7016.
There is a large car port for two large cars and a separate workshop with the same finishes.
Internally the house has a light open plan finish with high ceilings to most rooms. Give the open nature of the interior it is surprisingly cosy.
- Water-Water Heat Pump. This is a ground-source heat pump that utilises water from a borehole rather than from pipes buried in the ground
- Borehole water that meets drinking standards. Despite being filtered and then processed by UV it is only used for non-drinking purposes (flushing toilets, showers, …). All cold taps are supplied by Mains water for drinking purposes
- Photo-Voltaic (PV) Panels
- Solar Water Panels
- Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation (MHRV)
- Bobbin House is on a private road
- Motorised sliding drive gate (with intercom)
- Attached car port that easily takes two vehicles plus additional parking for several cars. Outside the gated drive is a parking space. The part of the private road in front of Bobbin House is part of the plot.
- Part sedum roof to car port
- Large balcony off upstairs living area and accessed through Bi-fold doors has a glass balustrade and aluminium decking
- Detached large workshop at rear of property which is the size of a triple garage
- Cubby hole in workshop for alfresco dining with an overhead infra-red heater
- Pump room in rear of workshop with all the equipment needed for the borehole operation
- Uponor underfloor heating to both floors
- Laminated oak frame
- Feature oak staircase with glass balustrade at side of stairs and balcony overlooking downstairs. The core of the stairs is a metal frame
- Hormann steel front door in RAL7016 Anthracite
- Three sets of bi-fold doors plus other doors to the outside areas
- Interstitial blinds (i.e. the blinds are inside the glazing units) to most windows & doors. All full height windows in living areas have electric interstitial blinds
- Hidden speakers in the two living areas and the master bedroom. They are hidden because the speakers are behind the plaster ceilings so they are not visible!
- Wood-burning Morso stove in upstairs living area
- Central vacuum system
- Burglar alarm
- Smart-home technology based on ZWave open standards. This is used to control:
- Electric blinds within four window sets (three sets of bi-fold doors plus another outside door and window set)
- LED Lighting throughout including Philips hue lights
- Smart Video Intercom that also controls the powered drive gate
- Integration with Amazon Alexa for voice control (lights on, lights off, blinds up, blinds down, gate open, gate close, etc)
- The ability to switch from Home to Away mode which schedules automatic activation of blinds and lights to create the illusion that the house is occupied
- Smart Thermostats using the Heatmiser system
- Full IT network cabling for computers, AV and telecoms
- Audio-Visual (AV) Control using a Harmony hub
- Block & Beam floors throughout for strength, fire resistance and noise reduction (i.e. no squeaky floor noises from floorboards!)
- Slate, natural stone or engineered oak floors throughout
- Slate window boards throughout
- German internal door systems and skirting
- Boiling hot tap
- Insinkerator Food Waste disposal
- Two wine fridges built into kitchen island